For owners


Earthdog allows dogs to use their natural hunting instincts in a safe, simulated environment.

Earthdog is a dog sport that allows small terriers and other small breeds of earthdog type dogs to participate in the work they were bred to do in a controlled environment.

Dogs aged six months or older that are registered with Dogs Australia. are eligible to participate in Earthdog tests.

Spayed and neutered dogs with Associate or Limited Registration, provided they are classified as eligible breeds or of earth dog type, can also participate.

How long has Earthdog been in Australia?

Earthdog in Australia began in November 1993, when the Sporting Terrier Club of Queensland held their first in-ground Hunting Fun Day at Durack, QLD.

This was followed by the Jack Russell Club of New South Wales holding a day at Erskine Park in 1994.

The first Earthdog fun day was held in Victoria in November 2002 with a practice day at Narbethong.

The first official trials were held in Victoria in July 2004.

South Australia and Tasmania followed.

What natural instinct does Earthdog bring out?

Earthdog is an instinct test for small terriers and other breeds that were originally bred to enter and work in burrows constructed by quarry that live underground.

During an Earthdog test, dogs are tested on their ability to enter the den, find their way to the “quarry” through a series of turns and tunnels, using only their keen senses of smell.

These challenges become increasingly difficult at each stage. They can have lots of fun and earn titles too.

What States/Territories is Earthdog available in?

Earthdog is available in New South Wales, Queensland, South Australia, Tasmania, and Victoria.

How many Earthdog clubs are there in Australia?

There are no clubs in Australia. Earthdog is conducted by sub-committees appointed by the State Bodies of Dogs Australia. 

Why get into Earthdog?

Earthdog allows dogs to use their natural instincts in a safe, simulated hunting environment.

More information

To find out more please visit your local state or territory website: